Admissions to Fern Hill Primary School
Fern Hill is a three form community school offering 90 places in Reception and 52 places in the Nursery provision.
Admission to the Nursery
If your child was born between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016, they are able to start Nursery in September 2019.
Applications for Nursery are made directly to the school and the application form for our Nursery is attached below. You can also ask for a paper copy at the school office. Further information on Nursery schools in Kingston, including the funding provision and the admissions process, can be found in the Nursery education in Kingston schools booklet, attached below. Please also see the Royal Borough of Kingston website here and Achieving for Children website here.
The closing date for applications to school is 8 March 2019 and places will be offered by 3 May 2019.
Admission to Reception
If your child was born between 1 September 2014 and 31 August 2015, they are due to start school, in Reception class, in September 2019.
Applications for Reception are made online through the Pan London eAdmissions website. An admissions booklet is available to help guide you through the admissions process. You can access the Primary School Admissions Brochure 2019 for Kingston borough schools here.
The closing date for applications is 15 January 2019. Parents are notified of the outcome of their application by post and email on 16 April 2019.
Admission to Year 1 - 6
If you are a Kingston borough resident applying for a place in a year group other than Reception in September 2019, you should complete an in-year admissions form to apply for a school place. You can find further information on in-year admissions here or you can telephone School Admissions on 020 8547 4610. If you are a resident in another Local Authority area, you should complete your home Local Authority's own in-year application form. You will be able to name a Kingston borough school as one of your preferences and your home Local Authority will pass your child's details onto Kingston School Admissions.
We hold a series of school tours during the autumn and spring terms for prospective parents. Please contact the school office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 020 8247 0300 if you would like to book. School tour dates are available to view here.
School tours last approximately one hour. You will meet the Headteacher and be given a tour of the school during a normal school day. We keep the number of attendees at each session low so that you have plenty of opportunity to ask any questions you may have.
Please note that there is no parking on the school site. Parking restrictions apply from 11.00 am to 2.00 pm in a majority of roads surrounding the school site.
If you are new to the area, please contact the school to make an appointment and we will endeavour to see you as soon as possible.
Criteria for admission
If there are more applications than places available, admissions criteria will be used to determine to whom places should be offered. The criteria are set by the Kingston borough. Please note that no priority is given to children applying for a Reception place who have attended the Nursery.
- Looked after children - these are children currently looked after by the local authority, or previously looked after children who were looked after immediately prior to being adopted, or who became subject to a child arrangements order under the Children and Families Act 2014 (previously known as a residence order) or a special guardianship order. Please note: children adopted from overseas are not classified as children in public care and will not be considered under this criterion.
- Children with a brother or sister - including an adopted, foster half- or step-brother or sister living at the same address and attending Reception to Year 6 the same school (or the paired junior school) at the time of admission.
- Exceptional needs cases - like family, social or medical needs. You should describe these on your application in as much detail as possible, and they should be professionally verified, saying why the school concerned is the most suitable. Please note: if your child has special educational needs or if your child may need additional support in school but does not have an education, health and care place (EHCP) it is not possible to consider their application for a higher priority under this criterion.
- Children of school staff - including an adopted, foster half or step brother or sister living at the same address. Staff should be directly employed by the school for two years or more at the time of application and continue to be employed at the school when the child is admitted in September or the member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post where there is a skill shortage.
- Children who live nearest to the school - as measured in a straight line to the nearest school gate.
All information on the admissions process can be found on Kingston borough's website at: https://www.kingston.gov.uk/info/200342/apply_for_a_school_place
School Admissions Team
School Admissions can be contacted Monday to Friday between 8.45 am and 2.00 pm.
Kingston upon Thames
Telephone: 020 8547 4610