Admissions to Fern Hill Primary School
Fern Hill is a three form community school offering 90 places in Reception and 52 places in the Nursery provision.
Admission to the Nursery
If your child was born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017, they are able to start Fern Hill Nursery in September 2020.
Applications for our Nursery are made directly to us and the application form is attached below. You can also ask for a paper copy at the school office. Further information on Nursery schools in Kingston, including the funding provision and the admissions process, can be found in the Nursery education in Kingston schools booklet, attached below. Please also see the Royal Borough of Kingston website here and Achieving for Children website here.
The closing date for Nursery applications is Friday 6th March 2020 and places will be offered by Friday 1st May 2020.
We are running a series of school tours in January and February 2020 for families interested in finding out more about our Nursery provision. You can find the dates of the tours and information on how to book onto them here.
Admission to Reception
If your child was born between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016, they are due to start Reception class at primary school in September 2020.
Applications for Reception are made online through the Pan London eAdmissions website. An admissions booklet is available to help guide you through the admissions process. You can access the Primary School Admissions Brochure 2020 for Kingston borough schools here.
The closing date for applications is 15 January 2020. Parents are notified of the outcome of their application by post and email on 16 April 2020.
We are running a series of school tours during the Autumn term for families interested in finding out more about our school. You can find the dates of the tours and information on how to book onto them here.
Admission to Year 1 - 6
If you are a Kingston borough resident looking for a place in a year group other than Reception for September 2020, you should complete an in-year admissions form to apply for a school place.
You can find further information on in-year admissions here or you can telephone School Admissions on 020 8547 4610. If you are a resident in another Local Authority area, you should complete your home Local Authority's own in-year application form. You will be able to name a Kingston borough school as one of your preferences and your home Local Authority will pass your child's details onto Kingston School Admissions.
We hold a series of school tours during the Autumn and Spring terms for families who are interested in finding out more about Fern Hill. The dates of the tours are listed here.
If you would like to book a place on one of the tours, please contact the school office by email at: email@example.com or by telephone on 020 8247 0300.
School tours last approximately one hour. You will be welcomed by Mr Scott, the Headteacher, or another member of the Senior Leadership team, and taken on a guided tour of the school by one of our Year 6 children. After the tour you will meet with Mr Scott again for a question and answer session. We limit the number of attendees on each tour so that you have plenty of opportunity to ask any questions you may have.
Please note that there is no parking on the school site. Parking restrictions apply from 11.00 am to 2.00 pm in a majority of the surrounding roads.
If you are new to the area, please contact the school office to make an appointment and we will endeavour to see you as soon as possible.
Criteria for admission
If there are more applications than places available, admissions criteria will be used to determine to whom places should be offered. The criteria are set by the Kingston borough. Please note that no priority is given to children applying for a Reception place who are already attending the Nursery.
Where more applications are received than there are places available, places will be offered in the following order of priority:
- Places will be offered firstly to Looked After Children i.e. children who are looked after by a public authority and are in public care, and previously looked after children who were adopted, or subject to a residence order, or special guardianship order, immediately following having been looked after. Applications made under this criterion must be accompanied by details of circumstance and professionally supported evidence (e.g. from a social worker);
- places will be offered next to children who have a brother or sister, including an adopted, foster, half- or step- brother or sister, living at the same address and attending Reception to Year 6 at the same school (or the paired junior school) at the time of admission;
- places will then be offered in cases of exceptional family, social, or medical need (which must be described on the application form and verified by professionally supported evidence) which makes the school concerned the most suitable one for the individual child;
- places will then be offered to children of members of staff who have been employed at the school for two or more years at the time of application and will continue to be employed at the school at the point of admission or the member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage;
- the remaining places will be offered to children who live nearest to the school, as measured by a straight line to the nearest school gate. All distances will be measured using the School Admissions computerised Geographical Information System.
All information on the admissions process can be found on Kingston borough's website at: https://www.kingston.gov.uk/info/200342/apply_for_a_school_place
School Admissions Team
School Admissions can be contacted Monday to Friday between 8.45 am and 2.00 pm.
Kingston upon Thames
Telephone: 020 8547 4610