Admission to Fern Hill Primary School
Fern Hill is a three form community school offering 90 places in Reception and 52 places in the Nursery provision. Our intake is in September only.
We hold a series of school tours during the autumn and spring terms for families who are interested in finding out more about Fern Hill. Click here for further information.
To reserve a place, please complete a registration form.
starting school in September 2022
Admission to Reception
Applications for September 2022 start
Children born between 1 September 2017 and 31 August 2018 are due to start reception class at primary school in September 2022.
Applications for reception are made online through the Pan London Admissions website from 1 September. Applications are not made directly to the school and the school does not manage its own waiting list.
The closing date for applications is 15 January 2022.
An admissions booklet for Kingston borough schools is available to help guide you through the application process: Primary School Admissions Brochure
For further information, please refer to the Kingston borough admissions page or contact the Kingston School Admissions Team (see contact details below).
starting nursery in September 2022
Admission to Nursery
Applications for September 2022 start
If your child was born between 1 September 2018 and 31 August 2019, they are able to start Fern Hill Nursery in September 2022.
Applications for a place in nursery are made directly to the school using the online form linked below from 1 October.
The closing date for applications is 14 March 2022. Places will be offered by 13 May 2022.
Further information on nursery schools in Kingston, including the funding provision and the admissions process, can be found on the Kingston borough admissions website here.
If there are more applications than places available, a set of criteria will be used to determine to whom places should be offered. The criteria are set by the Kingston borough. Please note that no priority is given to children applying for a Reception place who are already attending the Nursery.
Where more applications are received than there are places available, places will be offered in the following order of priority:
- Looked after and previously looked after children — these are children currently looked after by the local authority, or previously looked after children who were in the care of a local authority immediately prior to being adopted under section 46 of the Adoption and Children Act 2014, or who became subject to a child arrangements order under the Children and Families Act 2014 (previously known as a residence order) or a special guardianship order under section 14a of the Children Act 1989. This criterion also includes children who appear to have been in state care outside of England immediately prior to being adopted.
- Children with a brother or sister — including an adopted, foster half- or step-brother or sister living at the same address and attending Reception to Year 6 the same school (or the paired junior school) at the time of admission.
- Exceptional needs cases — like family, social or medical needs. As supporting evidence for your application, you should describe these on your application in as much detail as possible, and they should be professionally verified, saying why the school concerned is the most suitable. Please note: if your child has special educational needs or if your child may need additional support in school but does not have an education, health and care place (EHCP) it is not possible to consider their application for a higher priority under this criterion.
- Children of school staff — including an adopted, foster half or step-brother or sister living at the same address. Staff should be directly employed by the school for two years or more at the time of application and continue to be employed at the school when the child is admitted in September or the member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post where there is a skill shortage.
- Children who live nearest to the school — as measured in a straight line to the nearest or named school gate.
The distance from home to school is calculated using the School Admissions' computerised geographical information system and data supplied by Ordnance Survey.
Kingston school admissions team
School Admissions Team
Kingston Schools Admission team can be contact via email for support. They are currently operating a callback only service and cannot be reached by telephone by members of the public.
Kingston upon Thames
Telephone: 020 8547 4610
You may wish to read their Frequently Asked Questions page before contacting them.
In year admissions
If you are a Kingston borough resident looking for a place at Fern Hill during the school year, please contact the Kingston School Admissions team directly. You can find further information on the Kingston borough admissions website here.