Admissions to Fern Hill Primary School
Fern Hill is a three form community school offering 90 places in Reception and 52 places in the Nursery provision. Our intake is in September only.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are currently not able to welcome prospective families into school for a tour. We ran a series of online meetings, hosted by Mr Scott, Headteacher, in the autumn and spring terms for families interested in applying for a place in Reception or Nursery for September 2021.
Our school tours page will be updated with the schedule of events for entry in September 2022 as soon as the dates and format are confirmed later this year. The events will be held from October 2021 to February 2022.
Please do have a look at the New to School pages of our website. They are for families who joined the school in September 2020 and provide lots of information on the transition to Fern Hill Nursery and Reception and what to expect in the first few weeks. The pages also include pictures of the children's indoor and outdoor spaces.
If you are new to the area and applying for an in-year place at Fern Hill, please contact the school admissions team at: email@example.com or by telephone on 020 8247 0300.
Admissions to the Nursery
Applications for a place in Nursery starting in September 2021 are now closed. If you have applied for a place, you will hear from us by Friday 7th May 2021.
Late Applications: if you would like to apply for a place on the waiting list, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your child was born between 1st September 2017 and 31st August 2018, they are able to start Fern Hill Nursery in September 2021.
Applications for our Nursery are made directly to us using an online form. The form for applications for entry in September 2022 will be made available during the summer term.
Further information on Nursery schools in Kingston, including the funding provision and the admissions process, can be found in the Kingston Nursery Education booklet here. Please also see the Royal Borough of Kingston website here and the Achieving for Children website here.
Admissions to Reception
Applications for a place in Reception starting in September 2021 are now closed. The closing date for applications was Friday 15th January 2021. Parents will be notified of the outcome of their application by email on Friday 16 April 2021.
Late Applications: if you would like to be added to the waiting list for a place in Reception in September 2021, please contact the Kingston borough School Admissions Team at: email@example.com
If your child was born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017, they are due to start Reception class at primary school in September 2021.
Applications for Reception are made online through the Pan London Admissions website. A brochure is available to help guide you through the admissions process: the Kingston borough Primary School Admissions Brochure for 2021 is available here.
Admissions to Year 1 – 6
If you are a Kingston borough resident looking for a place in a year group other than Reception for September 2021, you should complete an in-year admissions form to apply for a school place.
You can find further information on in-year admissions here or you can telephone the borough School Admissions Team on 020 8547 4610. If you are a resident in another Local Authority area, you should complete your home Local Authority's own in-year application form. You will be able to name a Kingston borough school as one of your preferences and your home Local Authority will pass your child's details onto Kingston School Admissions.
Criteria for Admissions
If there are more applications than places available, admissions criteria will be used to determine to whom places should be offered. The criteria are set by the Kingston borough Local Education Authority and apply to both Nursery and Reception places.
Please note that no priority is given to children applying for a Reception place who are already attending the Nursery.
Where more applications are received than there are places available, places will be offered in the following order of priority:
- Places will be offered firstly to Looked After Children, i.e. children who are looked after by a public authority and are in public care, and previously Looked After Children who were adopted, or subject to a residence order, or special guardianship order, immediately following having been looked after. Applications made under this criterion must be accompanied by details of circumstance and professionally supported evidence, e.g. from a social worker;
- Places will be offered next to children who have a brother or sister, including an adopted, foster, half- or step- brother or sister, living at the same address and attending Reception to Year 6 at the same school (or the paired junior school) at the time of admission;
- Places will then be offered in cases of exceptional family, social, or medical need (which must be described on the application form and verified by professionally supported evidence) which makes the school concerned the most suitable one for the individual child;
- Places will then be offered to children of members of staff who have been employed at the school for two or more years at the time of application and will continue to be employed at the school at the point of admission or the member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage;
- The remaining places will be offered to children who live nearest to the school, as measured by a straight line to the nearest school gate. All distances will be measured using the School Admissions' computerised geographical information system.
Full information on the admissions process can be found on the Kingston borough website here.
Kingston Borough School Admissions Team
The Kingston borough School Admissions Team can be contacted Monday to Friday between 8.45 am and 2.00 pm.
Kingston upon Thames
Telephone: 020 8547 4610
They have a useful 'frequently asked questions' page here.